Shepherd’s Pie is perfect for those cold winter days when you want something warm and comforting. Since I cut down on meat, this is the vegetarian version that I use which is still as good even without the meat.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Carrots, diced
- 2 Celery Stalks, diced
- 8 oz Mushrooms, diced
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- Dash of Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Can Corn Kernels (or green peas depending on preference)
- 4 Cups Mashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onions. Stir until onions get translucent.
- Add carrots and celery and keep stirring until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt, thyme, paprika and pepper. Continue to stir until mushrooms are tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and flour and keep stirring until vegetables are coated and there’s a pasty mixture add the bottom of the pan.
- Add vegetable broth and corn kernels to pan. Stir until well combined and sauce begins to thicken.
- Pour vegetable mixture in casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.